Our History

Since the very beginning, the congregation of Friendly Avenue Baptist Church has dedicated itself to faithfully following God’s call to bring all people into the joy of a transforming relationship with Jesus Christ. For more than 100 years, the church has accomplished this through the commitment of its people to serve the community of Greensboro.

On July 2, 1899, seven people met in a little store building (where a Sunday School had been held for two years) and became charter members of a new church, known as South Elm Street Baptist Church. On July 10, the young church called Rev. J. A. Hackney as its first pastor.

In 1900, a small “country church building” was purchased and moved to a site on East Whittington Street, where the church name was changed to Southside Baptist Church. The church building was moved in 1906, to Asheboro Street. Again, the name changed, and it became Asheboro Street Baptist Church. Over the years, as the church grew, another lot was purchased, and additional buildings were constructed.  In 1956, the church began a mission church, which became Parkway Baptist Church.

In 1964, Asheboro Street Baptist Church, under the leadership of Dr. A. L. Parker, pastor, moved to West Friendly Road. A sister church, First Baptist, had contributed the property to which it moved. At that point, it became Friendly Road Baptist Church. Later, when West Friendly Road became West Friendly Avenue, the church took on its present name, Friendly Avenue Baptist Church.

Regardless of its name or location, the people who make up this church have always been a loving, generous people, who care about their community and who use their talents and finances to benefit others and glorify Christ.